Go Back   Cyber Recovery Social Network Forums - Alcohol and Drug Addiction Help/Support > General Recovery > Articles, Information & News

Articles, Information & News Share any articles, information, news about recovery here.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Pippa
Regular

NY Times article on breaking anonymity

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/08/fashion/08anon.html

This is causing a lot of controversy. I for one am astonished that people are posting photos on-line from AA meetings.

I won't begin to quote the traditions or the BB, but if I had any sense that I would be "outed" when I walked into a meeting, I would not go. This has nothing to do with shame. I'm proud of being in recovery. But that took a long time to feel. Imagine the poor soul out there with nowhere to turn because we are no longer anonymous?

I've seen plenty of stars in meetings. And yes, it was kinda cool to see them there. But they are on the same playing field as the rest of us. I've been in meetings with Molly Jong (she is quoted in here so I am not breaking her anonymity). I would walk out the next time I see her in a meeting.

Some of us don't have the luxury to be in an industry or job where it is "cool" to be in recovery. Don't these people know they didn't do it themselves? Where is their higher power in this?

I'm ranting. Sorry. But I just cannot believe that our spiritual foundations are being called into question. We are a group of people based on attraction, not promotion. There is a reason this has worked for 75 years. Now it is some badge of honor to say you're in AA? Sounds like a whole lotta pride to me.

Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
Carol87
Devoted Member

Hope that AAWS is aware of this ... they may want to take some action, although I don't know that for a fact. For the record, I disagree with the article. No further comment.

Your last chance to do anything about today is right now.
If it's a need... ... God will supply it
Carol87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
itsthejourney
Newcomer

It's still breaking anonymity to say who you've seen at a meeting even if they've said they go to them. You should take that person's name out of your post.
itsthejourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
Rabbit
Irregular

Use no names, not even first names.