Go Back   Cyber Recovery Social Network Forums - Alcohol and Drug Addiction Help/Support > Alcoholism > Weekly Recovery Meeting

Weekly Recovery Meeting A New Topic Will Be Posted Here Each Week For Discussion During That Week.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Craig A.
Spiritual Learner

Icon15 Spirtual Maintance 04/22/2012-04/28/2012

Good day everybody! Hope you enjoy this Sunday as I will!

What popped in my head this morning is my spiritual program which has to be acted out on a daily basis, I have to stay in today or else I run into problems, I can make goals but don't set the outcomes!

On pg. 83 from BB. "The spiritual life is not a theory. We have to live it.
Om pg. 85 from the BB. "It is easy to let up on the spiritual program of action and rest on our laurels. We are headed for trouble if we do. For alcohol is a subtle foe. We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintance of our spiritual condition.Every day is a day when we must carry the vision of God's will into allof our activities. 'How can I best serve Thee--Thy will be done.' These are thoughts which must go with us constantly. We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish. it is the proper use of the will."

One thing I remember is that no matter how long I am sober I am one drink/drug away from a relapse. I can have assurance by going to a meeting, working the steps, staying connected to my Higher Power and the fellowship, talking with my sponsor, and talking about what is going on with me. As long as I remember that I need to do this on a daily basis no matter how much is going on (family, job, etc.), I have to keep sobriety first! Through the grace of God I have a good connection, what I mean is I pray every morning and of course throughout the day (talk to Him) and thank Him at night, pray for others especially if they are struggling, and do my best to be God-conscience always giving Him the credit, without Him I am nothing. God will do for me what I can’t do for myself not what I can do!

I am grateful for doing this thread for a month to bad not too many people responded but hopefully somebody is reading them and getting something out of it! God Bless You and your families! Happy trails on our journey of sobriety!
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. Love is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered. Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves. And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Craig A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
yukonm
Administrator

Hi Craig. Thank you so much for this topic. I also believe that I must be consistent with my spiritual maintenance....that means connecting EVERY day. Devotion in the morning is priority for me. At first I would work my devotion into my mornings...sometimes I would run out of time rushing through it and on some occasions I would bypass it altogether.. Most always, those days were more difficult to go through. Through time and experience, I have learned to ALWAYS make my devotion a priority. Getting centered spiritually and grounded in my recovery comes second to none.
I see this as a priviledge and not a task and I am grateful to have this tool.
yukonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Chewi
Trusted Servant

I once heard a pastor say that all sin is addictive, so for me keeping in touch with God is about not drinking or relapsing, but also about not falling into some other self-destructive (or destructive-of-others) behaviors.

I also pray before I ever get out of bed. I start each morning thanking God. Even if I do not stay grateful all day, at least I start out that way!

I am almost at two years sober. This spring we headed out of town for a couple days. I had the worst cravings and the worst desire to drink. Some frustrations and unfinished business were at the core.

But what was different this time, was that even though this beast of a fight began again in my head to drink or not to drink, I sincerely prayed to God that no opportunity to drink would be put before me during this getaway. And God helped me through! I was distracted and happy and rested! There was no mini bar in the room! My husband did not drink at the restaurants! I could walk by the hotel bar and think about the hotel pool instead!

Years past I would actually pray to God to allow me to drink and not get caught!!!!

So what a change He has brought about in me!

And it is so wise to try to stay in today! It is usually not so hard for me anymore. I usually do not have these strong cravings. But now I know since I have gone through this, that I can get through anything without drinking if I just stay in the today and just trust God. If I just trust Him to keep my feet moving away from any temptation or opportunity to drink.

Beyond not drinking my connection with God is about trying to always do the right thing, so I have to seek God to know what is good and what is right. If I am in the right place with God, I don't have the anger, frustration; instead I have the serenity which is a place in which I do not need to drink.

Thanks for an excellent topic and thanks everyone for sharing!
Chewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
Craig A.
Spiritual Learner

Chewi, you reminded me of my beginning, my sponsor told me that there is only one that can get rid of the obsessionand it is God! I thought wonderful why did He wait so long!

He told me to pray in the morning to ask for strength to stay away from the first drink/drug TODAY! I tried this, I lay in bed and say the prayer but never felt different still struggled, so another member told me to get on my knees "humble myself to my God" try it for just a month and if you don't feel different return to the way you were praying. Well it worked and I still get on my knees and pray TODAY! He emphasized strength also because there is alcohol around you and you will be confronted with it again but this time this is a different you and you asked for help! Thank you for the reminder, God Bless!!!
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. Love is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered. Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always preserves. And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.
Craig A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #5
Chewi
Trusted Servant

I had God for years, but I didn't surrender 100%. I had God in one box and alcohol in another box. I had to throw away the alcohol box and trust God 100% with ALL of my life. That's when everything began coming together. AA and the 12 steps helped me toward all this and remind me not to take sobriety or life for granted. Thanks!
Chewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Post New Thread  Reply